Nigeria and the United States have carried out fresh strikes against Islamic State jihadists in northeast Nigeria. The strikes were conducted on Sunday, US Africa Command (Africom) said in a statement. They didn't provide further details on the operation.

And this isn't the first time the two countries have worked together to take down ISIS. Just two days before the latest strikes, the US and Nigeria announced that a joint operation in the west African country killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, an IS leader described as the group's second-in-command worldwide. He was a high-value target.

The Nigerian government has been fighting against jihadist groups and criminal gangs in the north. These groups have been responsible for attacks on villages and mass kidnappings. The situation has drawn criticism from US President Donald Trump, who claims that Nigeria's Christians are being persecuted. He says they're being targeted.

But the Nigerian government has rejected this claim, saying that both Christians and Muslims are equally affected by the violence. They're saying it's not just one group that's being targeted. Yet, the insecurity in northern Nigeria remains a major concern. The region has faced the double threat of attacks from jihadist groups allied to IS. It's also faced attacks from criminal gangs that stalk villages and carry out mass kidnappings.

The US has been working with Nigeria to counter the threat from ISIS. The two countries have been sharing intelligence and conducting joint operations. The latest strikes are a testament to this cooperation. According to Africom, intelligence confirmed that the targets were ISIS militants. Complete assessments are ongoing, but no US or Nigerian forces were harmed during the operation.

The killing of Abu-Bilal al-Minuki is a significant blow to ISIS because he was a key leader. He was under US sanctions since 2023 and was considered a high-value target. The joint operation that killed him was a result of intelligence sharing and cooperation between the US and Nigeria. They're working together to counter the threat.

As the US and Nigeria continue to work together to counter the threat from ISIS, the people of northern Nigeria remain hopeful that the security situation will improve. But for now, the region remains on high alert, with the threat of attacks from jihadist groups and criminal gangs still present. They're still a threat.

Key Facts

  • Nigeria and the US carried out fresh strikes against ISIS in northeast Nigeria on Sunday.
  • The strikes targeted ISIS militants, with intelligence confirming the targets.
  • No US or Nigerian forces were harmed during the operation.
  • The US and Nigeria had previously announced the killing of Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, an IS leader.
  • The Nigerian government has rejected claims that Christians are being persecuted, saying both Christians and Muslims are affected by the violence.

The situation in northern Nigeria is complex, with multiple groups involved in the conflict. It's a complex situation. The cooperation between the US and Nigeria is crucial in the fight against ISIS. They're working together to counter the threat. The people of northern Nigeria can only hope that the security situation will improve soon. They're hoping for a better future.

“Intelligence confirmed the targets were ISIS militants. Complete assessments are ongoing. No US or Nigerian forces were harmed,” said US Africa Command (Africom) in a statement.

The US has been sanctioning individuals and groups associated with ISIS. Abu-Bilal al-Minuki was under US sanctions since 2023. The sanctions are part of a broader effort to counter the threat from ISIS. They're trying to stop them.

The fight against ISIS is a global effort, with multiple countries involved. The US and Nigeria are just two of the many countries working together to counter the threat. They're not alone in this fight. The conflict continues, and the people of northern Nigeria can only hope that the security situation will improve soon. They won't give up hope.