Russian President Vladimir Putin has promised retaliation after accusing Ukraine of a deadly attack on a student dormitory in an occupied part of eastern Ukraine. Six people were killed and 39 injured in the overnight strike in the town of Starobilsk, Luhansk region, Putin said. He didn't specify when the retaliation would happen, but he's ordered the Russian military to prepare.
The Russian leader said the Ukrainian strike had been carried out in three waves using 16 drones. Russia's state-run TV showed what it said was one of the injured students, identifying her as Diana Shovkun, aged 19. She had head injuries after being hit by a collapsing concrete slab, the TV said. Diana Shovkun's condition isn't stable, and she's being treated in hospital.
Ukraine's military said it hit the headquarters of Russia's elite Rubicon drone military unit in Starobilsk. It didn't say whether it was the same building as the one identified by Russia. Putin said, "There are no military facilities, intelligence service facilities, or related services in the vicinity," in Moscow. He's denying that the building was a military target.
Putin ordered the Russian military to prepare its proposals on how to retaliate. The General Headquarters of the southern Krasnodar region said several technical administrative buildings caught fire and fragments of drones fell on a fuel terminal. Two people were injured and are being treated in hospital, the headquarters said. They're receiving medical attention, but their condition isn't clear.
On Thursday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said the headquarters of Russia's security service FSB was hit in the Moscow-seized area of Ukraine's southern Kherson region. About 100 Russian occupiers were either killed or injured, he added. Moscow's military hasn't commented on the issue. They won't confirm or deny the reports, and it's unclear what's happening.
Ukraine has repeatedly accused Russia's military of deliberately targeting civilians since the start of Moscow's full-scale invasion in 2022 - a charge Moscow regularly denies. Last week, Ukrainian officials said 24 people were killed - including three girls - when a Russian missile destroyed a block of a high-rising residential building in the capital Kyiv. It's a devastating situation, and many people are suffering.
The conflict between Russia and Ukraine is far from over. It's been years since the war started, and there's no end in sight. The international community is still trying to find a way to stop the fighting. They're working hard to resolve the issue, but it's complex.
Key Facts
- Six people were killed in the Ukrainian attack on a student dormitory in Starobilsk.
- 39 people were injured in the attack.
- 15 people are missing after the strike.
- Two people were injured in a fire at an oil depot in Russia's Black Sea port of Novorossiysk.
- Drones damaged private homes in the port city of Anapa.
This isn't the first time Ukraine and Russia have clashed. The two countries have been at war for years, and it's hard to see an end to the conflict. The people of Ukraine are suffering - they're the ones who are caught in the middle of this war, and they're the ones who are paying the price. They're struggling to survive, and it's a difficult situation.
So, what's next for Ukraine and Russia? It's hard to say, but the conflict is far from over. The international community needs to find a way to stop the fighting, and fast. The people of Ukraine can't take much more of this - they're exhausted, and they need a resolution. They're hoping for a peaceful solution, but it's unclear what the future holds.