At least 87 people abducted by Israeli forces from an aid flotilla bound for Gaza have begun a hunger strike, organisers say. This happened after Israeli forces intercepted the last remaining vessel in international waters.
The group is striking “in protest of their illegal abduction and in solidarity with the over 9,500 Palestinian hostages held in Israeli dungeons”, the Global Sumud Flotilla wrote on X on Wednesday.
Late on Tuesday evening, Israeli forces “kidnapped” six people on board the Lina al-Nabulsi boat, organisers said. The boat was the last in a group of more than 50 vessels that left Turkiye’s port city of Marmaris last week to sail towards Gaza, with the goal of breaking Israel’s blockade of the Gaza Strip.
Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed late on Tuesday that its forces were taking hundreds of flotilla participants to Israel. A ministry spokesman said that another PR flotilla has come to an end. All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives. He called the effort “nothing more than a PR stunt.”
The detainees included nine Indonesian citizens, a spokesperson for Indonesia’s foreign ministry said Wednesday. Indonesia called for the immediate release of all vessels and said that every diplomatic channel and consular measure will continue to be fully utilised.
Some 15 Irish citizens, including Margaret Connolly, a doctor and the sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly, were among those being held. Countries including Turkiye, Spain, Jordan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Brazil, Indonesia, Colombia, Libya, and the Maldives denounced the Israeli interceptions as “blatant violations of international law and international humanitarian law”.
The United States, however, imposed sanctions on four activists for their involvement in flotillas that have tried to reach Gaza, claiming without evidence that the organisers were acting “in support of Hamas”.
The aid flotilla participants' decision to go on a hunger strike follows previous instances where pro-Palestine activists have refused food upon being detained by Israel. Some previous flotilla participants have also gone on hunger strikes. In the UK, pro-Palestine activists jailed participated in a high-profile, months-long hunger strike that began last year and led to severe health effects.
- At least 87 people abducted by Israeli forces have begun a hunger strike
- The group includes nine Indonesian citizens and 15 Irish citizens
- The aid flotilla had over 50 vessels and more than 430 participants
- Israeli forces intercepted the vessels in international waters
- The US imposed sanctions on four activists for their involvement in the flotilla
The detainees will be taken to Israel, where they will meet with their consular representatives. But it's not clear when they will be released. The Israeli government has been under pressure from the international community to lift its blockade of Gaza. The blockade has been in place since 2007 and has had a devastating impact on the people of Gaza.
The Israeli government says it's necessary for security reasons. They claim that Hamas, which rules Gaza, is a terrorist organisation that poses a threat to Israel's security. But the international community says the blockade is collective punishment and is illegal under international law. It's a complex issue with no easy solution. The people of Gaza are suffering. They need humanitarian aid and they need it now.
The aid flotilla was trying to bring that aid to them. But now, the participants are in Israeli custody, on a hunger strike to protest their detention. The international community will be watching to see what happens next. The incident has sparked widespread condemnation, with many countries calling for the immediate release of the detainees.
The US sanctions on the four activists have also been widely criticised. Many see it as an attempt to silence critics of Israel's actions in Gaza. But the US says it's necessary to prevent the flow of money to terrorist organisations. It's a complex issue, with many different perspectives.
At the end of the day, it's about the people of Gaza. They deserve to live with dignity and respect. They deserve to have access to basic necessities like food, water, and medicine. And they deserve to be free from the blockade that has been imposed on them for so long.
The aid flotilla was trying to bring attention to their plight. And now, the detainees are on a hunger strike to protest their detention. It's a powerful statement, and one that won't be ignored. The international community will be watching, and waiting to see what happens next.
The people of Gaza won't be forgotten. The aid flotilla and the detainees on hunger strike have made sure of that. They can't access basic necessities easily, and they won't be able to until the blockade is lifted. But they won't give up, and they won't be silenced. The international community won't let them be forgotten, either. It's a matter of when, not if, the people of Gaza will get the help they need. The detainees' hunger strike is a reminder that they need help now, and they can't wait any longer.