At least 90 people are dead after a gas explosion rocked a coal mine in northern China. The blast happened on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, a major coal-producing region.

State media reported that a total of 247 workers were underground when the explosion occurred at 7:29 pm local time. So far, 90 people have been confirmed dead, and 123 others were sent to the hospital for treatment.

The death toll could rise as rescue efforts are still ongoing. Four of those sent for treatment are in critical or severe condition. As of Saturday afternoon, 33 of the injured miners had been discharged from the hospital.

This explosion is the worst mining disaster in China since 2009, when 108 people were killed in a mine blast in northeast Heilongjiang province. President Xi Jinping has urged all-out efforts to treat the injured and called for thorough investigations into the incident.

He “emphasised that all regions and departments must draw lessons from this accident, remain constantly vigilant regarding workplace safety … and resolutely prevent and curb the occurrence of major and catastrophic accidents”.

Wang Yong, a survivor and injured miner, told state broadcaster CCTV that there was a “puff of smoke” and he smelled sulphur before he fainted. He recalled seeing people choked by the smoke before he lost consciousness.

Wang said he woke up about an hour later and managed to escape the mine with the help of others. Helmeted rescuers were seen carrying stretchers at the site, while ambulances were visible in the background.

A person responsible for the company involved in the explosion has been placed under control in accordance with the law, according to state media. The cause of the explosion is still under investigation.

Shanxi, where the mine is located, is one of China's poorer provinces and a major coal-producing region. Mine safety in China has improved in recent decades, but accidents still occur due to lax safety protocols and vague regulations.

In 2023, a collapse at an open-pit coal mine in the northern Inner Mongolia region killed 53 people. China is the world's top consumer of coal and the largest greenhouse gas emitter, despite installing renewable energy capacity at record speed.

  • At least 90 people were killed in the explosion.
  • 123 people were sent to hospital for treatment.
  • 33 of the injured miners were discharged from the hospital as of Saturday.
  • 755 emergency and medical personnel were dispatched to the site.
  • The explosion occurred at 7:29 pm local time on Friday.
  • The mine is located in Shanxi province, a major coal-producing region.

The Chinese government has faced criticism in the past for its handling of mining accidents. It's known that the country's mining industry has a poor safety record, with many accidents occurring due to inadequate safety measures and lack of regulation.

As the investigation into the explosion continues, the government will face pressure to improve safety standards in the mining industry. This incident is a stark reminder of the risks faced by miners in China and the need for stricter safety protocols to prevent such tragedies.

For now, the focus is on rescue efforts and treating the injured. The authorities will also be working to determine the cause of the explosion and to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future. They don't want a similar disaster to happen again, so they'll be taking a closer look at safety measures.

The investigation won't be easy, but it's necessary to find out what went wrong. The government won't tolerate any lax safety protocols, and they'll make sure that the mining industry follows stricter guidelines. It's clear that China needs to improve its mining safety record, and this incident is a wake-up call.