The US Commission of Fine Arts has approved designs for a 250ft triumphal arch in Washington DC, a project proposed by Donald Trump. The arch, which will stand 250ft tall and include a public viewing deck, is set to be built near Arlington National Cemetery.
This decision marks a key step for the project. Next month, the proposed design is set to be reviewed by the National Capital Planning Commission, another federal panel that oversees planning for federal buildings and land.
Rodney Mims Cook Jr, the panel's chair, said on Thursday that Washington isn't a static city and that it must grow to allow the next 250 years of Americans to celebrate their accomplishments. He also described the building as 'beautiful' according to reports.
The administration believes the monument will be one of the most iconic landmarks not only in Washington DC, but throughout the world. It has also said that positioning the arch near Arlington National Cemetery would serve as a visual reminder of the noble sacrifices borne by so many American heroes throughout our 250-year history, so we can enjoy our freedoms today.
Earlier this year, a group of military veterans and historic preservationists sued to stop construction of the arch, arguing that the structure hadn't received congressional approval and would disrupt the experience of visiting Arlington National Cemetery and obstruct the symbolic and inspiring view from the cemetery to the Lincoln Memorial.
In April, a White House official told the Guardian that the arch's estimated cost was still being calculated and would be released in the near future. The official said that the White House expects the project will be funded through some combination of public and private funds.
According to the New York Times, the Trump administration has argued in legal filings that it has the authority to build the arch. The arch is one of several high-profile projects that Trump is pursuing in Washington during his second term.
Others include the White House ballroom and the renovations to the reflecting pool on the US Capital's national mall. The arts panel that approved the arch plans on Thursday is the same panel that also approved Trump's ballroom earlier this year.
“That's good news,' Trump said. 'We're building what's called the 'triumphal arch' right opposite the Arlington Memorial Bridge, right by the Arlington Cemetery”
— it's beautiful,' he said, adding: 'We just got approval from fine arts, that's fantastic'.
The Trump administration hasn't yet released a detailed timeline for the construction of the arch, but it's expected to take several years to complete. The project has already sparked controversy, with some arguing it's a waste of money and others saying it's a necessary addition to the nation's capital.
It's not the first time that Trump has been involved in a high-profile construction project. In the past, he's developed numerous properties, including hotels, casinos, and golf courses.
But this project is different, as it's a public monument that will be funded with a combination of public and private funds. The administration has said it will work with contractors and architects to ensure the project is completed on time and within budget.
The project still faces several hurdles, including the lawsuit filed by the group of military veterans and historic preservationists. The lawsuit argues that the arch doesn't have congressional approval and that it will disrupt the experience of visiting Arlington National Cemetery.
It's a complex issue, and one that will likely be debated in the coming months. The administration will need to work with lawmakers and other stakeholders to ensure the project is completed in a way that is respectful to the nation's history and its fallen heroes.
The story of the arch will continue to unfold in the coming weeks and months. It's a story that will be watched closely by many, as it has the potential to impact the nation's capital and its people for generations to come.
Key Facts
- The arch will stand 250ft tall and include a public viewing deck.
- The arch will be built near Arlington National Cemetery.
- The project is expected to be funded through a combination of public and private funds.
- The Trump administration has argued in legal filings that it has the authority to build the arch.
- The project has sparked controversy, with some arguing it's a waste of money and others saying it's a necessary addition to the nation's capital.
- The administration hasn't yet released a detailed timeline for the construction of the arch, but it's expected to take several years to complete.