The UK government has announced that it will review the sentencing of three teenage boys who raped two girls in separate attacks in Fordingbridge, Hampshire. The boys, two aged 15 and one aged 14, were given youth rehabilitation orders (YRO) and the two older ones were also made subject to intensive supervision and surveillance (ISS).
This decision has sparked outrage, with many feeling that the sentences are too lenient. Former Home Office minister Jess Phillips condemned the sentences, stating that they send a bad message and are unduly lenient. Phillips, who served as minister for safeguarding and violence against women and girls until she resigned earlier this month, said that social media has negatively influenced young boys. She didn't mince her words when she stated that social media companies have been experimenting on young people, especially young boys, for about 10 years.
The boys had denied the charges but were found guilty in March after a trial at Southampton Crown Court. The first girl was 15 when she was raped three times in an underpass by the River Avon in Fordingbridge. She had travelled to meet one of the boys for the first time after he'd begun a 'relationship' with her on social media platform Snapchat - but then two other boys appeared. They didn't know each other well, but they'd all connected through social media.
The second girl was 14 when she met the boys at Fordingbridge Recreation Ground and was raped repeatedly in a nearby field. Video footage previously seen in court showed her lying motionless on the ground with her face buried in her hands, while another boy was heard shouting words of encouragement. The prosecutor, Jodie Mittel KC, said that videos of the first incident were shared online, leading to people making jokes about the girl. She also received messages calling her a 'slag'.
Speaking in court on Thursday, screened from the view of the boys, the prosecutor read a poem the girl had written. It included the line: 'All I want to do is die, I no longer have fear for when that comes.' The girl's words were emotional and heartfelt. She didn't hold back when expressing her feelings.
In a statement read on behalf of the second victim, she described suffering nightmares and struggling to sleep. She said: 'I feel ashamed, insecure and uncomfortable in my own body.' The victims' statements were poignant and highlighted the devastating impact of the attacks. They're still struggling to come to terms with what happened.
Jess Phillips said that the truth is, for about 10 years, we've allowed young people, especially young boys, to be experimented on by social media companies. Phillips said that while rehabilitation of offenders is vital, perpetrators should be able to be rehabilitated within our youth estate. The MP for Birmingham Yardley accused social media of playing a role in the rise of misogyny amongst young men. She won't back down on this issue, and she's calling for action.
The Attorney General and Solicitor General, the government's primary law officers, will now have up to 28 days to make a decision on the case. They could then refer it to the Court of Appeal for a hearing. There, three of the most senior judges in England and Wales will hear arguments about whether the sentence was too short or appropriate. They'll take into account detailed guidelines to trial judges and the specific circumstances of the case. The judges won't make their decision lightly, and they'll consider all the facts.
Det Sgt Naomi Stocker from Hampshire Police said on Thursday that the force is liaising with their partners at the Crown Prosecution Service in relation to the sentence passed. The police are working closely with the Crown Prosecution Service to ensure that justice is served. They're committed to getting it right, and they won't give up.
The case has sparked a nationwide debate about the role of social media in promoting misogyny and violence amongst young people. Many are calling for stricter regulations on social media companies to prevent the spread of violent and misogynistic content. The government's decision to review the sentencing of the teenage boys is a step in the right direction. It's a significant move because it acknowledges that the sentences may not have been sufficient. However, it's crucial that the government takes concrete actions to address the root causes of this issue, including the negative influence of social media on young people.
They can't afford to wait, and they must act now.
Key Facts
- Three teenage boys, two aged 15 and one aged 14, were given youth rehabilitation orders (YRO) for raping two girls in separate attacks.
- The boys were also made subject to intensive supervision and surveillance (ISS).
- The girls were 15 and 14 when they were raped.
- The attacks were 'brazenly filmed' on phones and shared online.
- The government will review the sentencing of the boys within 28 days.